If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Call Us Today

770-424-2020
m

RSS Feed

Posted on 10-28-2015

November is National Diabetes Month

In recognition of National Diabetes Month, we here at Hobson Eye Associates are joining with the American Diabetic Association in shedding light on the seriousness of this disease and its effects – particularly those pertaining to the eyes. More than 29 million people have diabetes in the U.S. alone, nearly one-third of whom are undiagnosed. Of those, many will develop diabetic eye disease, which can cause serious eye problems and even blindness.

Diabetic individuals are at higher risk for several diseases, including a 40 percent higher chance of glaucoma and a 60 percent high risk of cataracts. One of the most common eye diseases, however, is diabetic retinopathy, in which high blood sugar levels cause damage to the retina and blood vessels within the eyes.

See our Kennesaw Eye Doctor for Diabetic Eye Disease Screening

blue_eye_getting_eye_examMany diabetic eye diseases are highly treatable and manageable when diagnosed in their earliest stages. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, it is important to maintain periodic appointments with your Kennesaw optometrist to identify any potential complications at their start. Make an appointment right away if you notice floaters, dark spots in your vision, blurriness or impaired color vision.

Keep in mind that it is often an optometrist who notices the first sign of diabetes, as the disease is easily identified with a standard vision examination. Many people have first learned of their diabetes at an annual vision check-up. By identifying and treating the disease early, it is possible to reduce the dangerous effects of diabetes on overall health, including damage to the kidneys, nervous system, and cardiovascular system. For more information about the connection between diabetes and the eyes, contact our office to schedule an examination.

Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with diabetes? If so, when was the last time you had an eye exam?

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Online Forms

Services
We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Make An Appointment
We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Schedule an appointment today!
Online Forms
Our patient forms are available online so they can be completed in the convenience of your own home or office.